14500 Big Basin Way
Software Design is a computer consultancy whose President is Brian A. Berg.
Brian has extensive experience with consumer electronics, storage technology, interfaces, backup and restore products, and file systems, including Flash Memory (embedded, memory cards, Solid State Disks, flash drives), Optical Storage (CD, DVD, WORM, Magneto-Optical), Magnetic Storage (Hard Disk, Floppy Disk, Tape), RAID/Disk Arrays and jukeboxes, as well as cloud storage, data compression, data deduplication, data backup and metadata; USB, Fibre Channel, IDE/ATA/ATAPI/SATA, SCSI, iSCSI, FireWire/1394, PCMCIA and Storage Area Networks (SAN). He also has experience with devices such as the Amazon Kindle, B&N Nook and some Android devices, as well as the Content Scramble System (CSS) key-based authentication system for encrypted DVDs.
Brian has written, designed and studied device drivers, software and firmware for Windows, UNIX variants (including Linux, Sun and Silicon Graphics) and embedded real-time operating systems (RTOSs). Mr. Berg has been a software developer, project lead, industry analyst, seminar leader, technical marketer and technical writer. He has participated in over 80 conferences and industry events as a speaker, session chair, conference chair and conference advisory board member. His experience includes various programming languages, including C, C++, Java and assembly.
Mr. Berg has been an Expert Witness, Expert Consultant and Third Party Auditor in over 80 engagements involving patent, trade secret, copyright, class action, false advertising, medical malpractice, employment and contractual disputes, as well as patent portfolio reviews. These have drawn on over 25 years of experience in the storage industry and over 30 years of experience as a computer engineer, and have involved technology in storage, consumer electronics, IC CAD, software and hardware.
He has written Expert Reports, been deposed, and has provided courtroom testimony at trial. His engagements have involved source code analysis and comparisons, object code disassembly, hardware design analysis, benchmarking, and forensic computer media duplication, as well as forensic analysis of storage devices and file systems using tools including EnCase.
Partial List of Consulting ClientsFirst Pacific Networks, Sunnyvale, CA
Fujitsu Computer Products of America, Inc., San Jose, CA
gig.com, Inc., San Francisco, CA
High Density Devices AS, Kristiansand, NORWAY
Hitachi America, Ltd., Brisbane, CA
Hotfile Corp., Panama City, PANAMA
Integrated Automation, Alameda, CA
Intel Corp., Santa Clara, CA
Kaiser Aluminum, Pleasanton, CA
Kofax Image Products, Irvine, CA
KR Investments, LLC, Atlanta, GA
Landmark Graphics Corp., Houston, TX
Latitude Communications, Santa Clara, CA
LucidPort Technology, Inc., Mountain View, CA
Lumetra Health Care Solutions, San Francisco, CA
LynuxWorks, Inc., San Jose, CA
Miller Freeman, Inc., San Mateo, CA
Miltope Corp., Hope Hull, AL
National Semiconductor Corp., Santa Clara, CA
Netac Technology Co., Ltd., Shenzhen, CHINA
NetCell Corp., San Jose, CA
NewNetDevice.com, Munich, GERMANY
Ocean Secure, Sunnyvale, CA
Open-E, GmbH, Puchheim, GERMANY
Optical Media International, Los Gatos, CA
Pacstor, Inc., Los Gatos, CA
Paralan Corp., San Diego, CA
Parallan Computer, Inc., Mountain View, CA
Pillar Ventures, LLC, Los Altos, CA
Plexus Computers/Plexus Software, Sunnyvale, CA
Pyramid Technology Corp., San Jose, CA
Ricoh Corp., San Jose, CA
SafetyMate Corp., Irvine, CA
SandForce, Inc., Milpitas, CA
Sandvine, Inc., Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA
San Jose Engineering, LLC, San Jose, CA
SANlight, Inc., San Jose, CA
Sega of America, Inc., Redwood City, CA
Sequent Computer Systems, Inc. (now IBM), Beaverton, OR
Siemens Information and Communication Networks,
Inc. (formerly Rolm), Santa Clara, CA
Silicon Gaming, Inc., Palo Alto, CA
Silicon Gear, San Jose, CA
Silicon Graphics, Inc., Mountain View, CA
Siros Technologies, San Jose, CA
Solution Technology, Boulder Creek, CA
Sony Electronics, Inc., San Jose, CA
Sony Magnetic Products, Inc. of America, Dothan, AL
Starlight Networks, Mountain View, CA
Studer Editech Corp., Menlo Park, CA
Tab Products Co., Palo Alto, CA
Technology, Patents & Licensing, Inc., Doylestown, PA
TRW Financial Systems, Berkeley, CA
Verio, Inc., Centennial, CO
Xerox Corp./Terabank Systems, Inc., Campbell, CA
July 1979 to present
Patent Office, The Hague, The Netherlands
- Accom, Inc., Menlo Park, CA
- Adaptec, Inc., Milpitas, CA
- Alacritech, Inc., San Jose, CA
- Ampex Corp., Redwood City, CA
- Arete Systems Corp. (aka Arix Corp.), San Jose, CA
- Avica Technology Corp., Santa Monica, CA
- Boston Scientific Corp., San Jose, CA
- Carving Technologies, LLC, Lenexa, KS
- Conference Concepts, Inc., San Diego, CA
- Crimson Consulting Group, Inc., Los Altos, CA
- Cygnet Storage Solutions, Inc. (aka ATG Cygnet), San Jose, CA
- Catel Telecommunications, Inc., Fremont, CA
- The Chatham Group, Los Altos, CA
- DISC, Inc., Milpitas, CA
- DTS, Inc., Calabasas, CA
- Eastman Kodak Co., Rochester, NY
- E-mu Systems, Inc., Scotts Valley, CA
Areas of ExpertiseFlash Memory
Consumer Electronics, reverse engineering
USB, SATA, SAS, Fibre Channel, SCSI, 1394
Optical Storage: Blu-ray, DVD, CD, WORM
Operating Systems: Windows, Android, UNIX/Linux, Embedded OS
Languages: C, C++, Java, Assembly
Education Stanford University,
Stanford, CA: CS/EE graduate work (1975-78, part-time).
Pacific Lutheran University,
Tacoma, WA: B.S. Math, 1974
Professional Organization Memberships
Computer History Museum (Core Member),
Forensic Expert Witness Association (FEWA),
IEEE (Senior Member),
IEEE Consultants' Network of Silicon Valley (IEEE-CNSV),
PATCA (Senior Member),
Saratoga Chamber of Commerce,
The Tech Museum of Innovation.
Public Speaking and Conference Participation
- Flash Memory Summit: Technical Chair
- Ethernet Technology Summit: Conference Advisory Board member
- Server Blade Summit: Chaired Interfaces session and Getting the Most from Your Blade Servers tutorial: Santa Clara, CA (22-24 March 2005).
- Server Blade Summit: Chaired Blade Standards session and Storage Architectures tutorial: San Jose, CA (9-11 March 2004).
- SAN West 2002: Chaired Storage Management and iSCSI sessions: San Jose, CA (13-15 May 2002).
- Fibre Channel Technologies Conference: Chaired Storage Management Software and SAN File Systems sessions: San Jose, CA (16-18 October 2001).
- SAN Conference 2001: Chaired two Storage Over Ethernet and IP sessions: San Jose, CA (5-7 June 2001).
- DAFS DevCon: First Direct Access File System Developers Conference: Chaired and spoke at Independent Software Vendors: Technical Orientation session: Durham, NC (19-20 October 2000).
- Fibre Channel Technologies Conference: Chaired Relationships with SCSI session: San Jose, CA (10-12 October 2000).
- SAN Conference 2000: Chaired Storage Management Software session: San Jose, CA (30 May-1 June 2000).
- Fibre Channel Technologies Conference: Chaired Relationships with SCSI session: San Jose, CA (2-4 November 1999).
- SAN Workshop 1999: Chaired SAN Software session: San Jose, CA (1-2 June 1999).
- Fibre Channel Technologies Conference: Chaired Networking Applications session: San Jose, CA (15-17 September 1998).
- InfoStor '98: Chaired Storage Implications of Windows NT 5.0 session: San Jose, CA (March 1998).
- Asilomar Microcomputer Workshop, every April in Pacific Grove, CA: conference chair (1997-2000), conference committee member (1989-present), session chair (1989-present), and speaker (1987-present).
- WESCON: Consultants' Clinic speaker in three sessions: San Francisco, CA (12-14 August 2003).
- IEEE Consultants' Network of Silicon Valley (CNSV): Consultants' Clinic session speaker: Sunnyvale, CA (18 March 2003, 15 January 2002, 19 June 2001).
- PATCA: Consultants' Clinic session speaker: Santa Clara, CA (11 April 2002).
- IEEE CNSV/PATCA Consultants' Business Seminar: Session speaker: Sunnyvale, CA (October 2005, May 2000, May 1999, May 1998).
- Optical Information Systems (OIS) Conference: Session chair and speaker: London, ENGLAND (1992, 1991 and 1990), Washington, DC (1990, 1989 and 1988), New York, NY (1987), Los Angeles, CA (1987).
Books and PublicationsInfoStor: author of RAID, I2O and NT: Making the Synergy Happen, January 1998; PennWell Publishing Co., Tulsa, OK.
The Ancot Connection (quarterly newsletter): author of SCSI
Observations from the Field column; Ancot Corp., Menlo Park, CA.
Computer Technology Review: author of Solving SCSI's Cable Length Dilemma, February 1997; WestWorld Productions, Inc., Beverly Hills, CA.
EDN Products Edition: author of SCSI Software... Issues and Resources, Technology Focus, July 18, 1994; Cahners Publishing Co., Newton, MA.
Stacks: The Network Journal: author of SCSI: An Integrator's Resource Guide, the August 1993 cover article; M&T Publishing/Miller Freeman, Inc.
Essential Guide to Multifunction Optical Storage and Rewritable
Optical Storage Technology (author of chapters on SCSI and rewritable and
multifunction drive software); Meckler Corp., Westport, CT, 1991.
Software for Optical Storage (co-editor; author of 3
chapters), Meckler Corp.; Westport, CT, 1989. 249 pp.
Systems Integration Business/Mini-Micro Systems
magazines (1987-1991): Disk Roundtable participant; SCSI and optical storage article author.
Optical Information Systems, Meckler Corp. (bi-monthly):
editorial board member and contributing writer (1987-1991).